'Lo Yall.
There is a transformation occurring. We may be spending too much time below the Mason-Dixon Line! I'm even starting to understand more than every other word when we talk to a local.
I know that I said yesterday, "no history lessons tomorrow". Well, I was mistaken. I forgot did not have the full agenda. We did walk though!
This statue of Elvis is on Beale Street.
We wandered to the south of our hotel to look for the National Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel. This is where Dr. Martin L. King was assassinated. It is a very moving monument to a very dedicated man. If you click on the link, it will inform you better than I could do it justice.
These were the only photos I took. They do not allow photography in the actual museum. Again, check out the link for exhibit photos. We spent more time than we had planned to at the museum. We'll need to take a refresher of the Evelyn Wood Speed Reading Course. While we were in the museum there was thunder & lightning, and it began raining cats & dogs. We could hear the downpour even inside. Luckily, as we exited the museum the rain had let up, and the trolley station was only a half block away. We took a short trolley ride back toward our hotel area and found a TGIF restaurant to have lunch at.
After lunch we again set out on a short trek (just about four blocks) to the Memphis ROCK n SOUL Museum. Had a great afternoon absorbing the history of rock, soul, and gospel music.
One of B.B. King's signature guitars, Lucille.
Once again we spent too much time in a museum. This time we were using an audio tour device. Way too much information for my pea-brain to assimilate.
Tomorrow we will visit the Stax Museum of American Soul Music, do a slow drive-by of Graceland, and lunch at Corky's Ribs & BBQ.
Til we meet again, I remain, your "boogie down" correspondent.

No comments:
Post a Comment